Friday 6 November 2009

Possible Questions For A Web Designer/Developer Interview

This week’s blog entry is concentrating on opportunities for employment and putting ourselves in the shoes of the interviewer. These questions could be expected to be answered in an interview situation.

I have chosen six questions in my interviewing scenario. These questions will help me to develop my employment ability skills and confidence in the near future.


  1. What made you apply for this position?
  2. Model answer: Your advertisement appealed to me because of the job opportunities and the position you offer. I have a chance to expand my creativity skills and develop my own personal growth in this industry.

    Reason for question: I assume this question would be asked in a web design interview as much as any other interview situation.


  3. What skills could you bring to our team?
  4. Model answer: I have an up-to date knowledge of XHTML and CSS and would be able to offer many creative solutions to a number of scenarios. I have developed these skills through an intensive college course and feel I achieved well in doing so.

    Reason for question: An employer would choose a suitable candidate on the quality of their skills over someone who has none.


  5. How do you keep yourself up to date with current technologies?
  6. Model answer: Keeping up to date in this industry is key to a successful web designer/developer and to do so I spend a lot of my free time reading about and using new languages.

    Reason for question: An employer would want to see how someone would work of their own back to keep up to date in the industry rather than have to spend money sending them on courses.


  7. What are your views on web standards?
  8. Model answer: Web standards are vital in making web pages accessible to the masses. This gives business the opportunity to reach a wider target audience. I feel that web standards should be treated as such: standard.

    Reason for question: Even though a company may not be strict in the sense of standards; if you were to answer in a professional manner it would reflect better. You can always drop your standards if the employer asks.


  9. How would your friends describe you?
  10. Model answer: My friends would describe me as an out going person who takes work seriously, who is very approachable and friendly.

    Reason for question: This question is kind of a spanner in the works and seeing ones reactions to this question could be a deal breaker. Having a truthful opinion about yourself also speaks volumes to a potential employer or/and client.


  11. Where do you see yourself in five years time?
  12. Model answer: Hopefully I see my self with a wife, 2.4 children, big house, nice car and comfortable job where I can express my creativity and explorer new boundaries.

    Reason for question: A lot of employers are looking for commitment to their business. If I’m tied down with a mortgage, children and loan for a car I’m not really going anywhere for a while.


Word count: 500

No comments: