Tuesday 20 January 2009

Act II

It’s been a crazy four months since I enrolled on the HND media course. I feel like I have absorbed a lot of information some of which has been taken on board and some that still needs my attention.

My initial thoughts concerning the HNC course, the one I applied for originally, was that it would give me a general taste for this industry. I'm glad I ‘upgraded’ to the HND course as I now understand that to do well in this world of web design you actually do need to cover all the bases.

Getting into the swing of things was a bit of up and down as I hadn’t actually done any intensive learning and studying for quite a period of time. I thought I had truly made a mistake enrolling when I was handed my first assignment back, with a referral. This, as it turned out, wasn’t the end of the world and I think I understand that the referral was given back so that I would open my eyes to the details I was over looking.

The second assignments handed out really hit home to the amount of work that would be required from me. I feel I may have not have done as well as I should have with these assignments as my time management became an issue. It didn’t help that the work over lapped with holidays either. But this is an excuse and I should have constructed my time more efficiently as most people managed to do this.

I felt more relaxed doing sketch book work for these assignments as drawing is something I feel comfortable with.



This new semester seems a bit more, I think, relaxed. Everyone seems to know which direction each person is taking on this course and what point they, themselves, are up to in terms of quality of work and confidence.

I am hoping to utilise my time more efficiently this term and to really put some effort into recording my time on the tasks I do at home.

Our new assignments are now underway and I was quite shocked when we were told we needed to plan our seven weeks for this portfolio. I do, however, feel confident that I can manage this aspect and achieve what is required of the assignment and of me.

Working in a group will also be a new experience for me. I think it will help me to keep a stricter track of my time as I am sure I will be banging on about it every chance I get. I want to do well this semester to make up for my lack of effort in the first.

This week is in grace but there is still plenty of work required from myself and my group partner so that we can hit the ground running on our return next week. Hopefully we will be able to crack on with the work and rustle up a good presentation in four weeks time.

No comments: